Environmental, social and governance (ESG) at Eight Bar Partners
ESG Policy Statement
We recognise that environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues can have an impact upon returns as well the communities in which we and our investee companies operate, and we view a responsible approach to investment as being important to our wider approach to risk and opportunity management. In developing this policy statement, we have given consideration to the United Nations supported Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI), the Private Equity Council (PEC) ESG Guidelines and the existing ESG policies and practices in place at our investors and underlying portfolio companies. We recognise that there are a broad range of ESG topics including anti-corruption, worker health and safety, environmental pollution, animal welfare, pay and conditions and supply chain risk, so we adopt an approach that addresses each underlying investee company on a case by case basis and we seek to focus on those ESG issues that are material to an investment.
We plan to undertake due-diligence on those companies we consider represent a potential material ESG risk prior to investment and follow up and address any material ESG issues that might be identified or which might arise during our period of ownership. As a minimum, we seek to invest in companies which comply with all applicable laws, regulations and industry guidelines, and encourage investee companies to take a responsible approach towards ESG matters.
We seek to conduct our activities in accordance with the following business principles:
- Act as a responsible steward of investor capital and portfolio companies businesses
- Embed good governance and responsible decision-making into investment processes and portfolio management activities
- Manage risks effectively and seek to minimise or mitigate any adverse ESG impacts
- Communicate effectively and transparently with investors, investee company management, other stakeholder and the general public
- Maintain strict anti-corruption policies